Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Gift of Today

One of my favorite inspirational movies is The Ultimate Gift. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it (Just a warning though, it is a tear jerker). It’s the story about a grandfather who dies and leaves his spoiled, rich grandson Jason a series of gifts that lead him to his inheritance and finding the “ultimate gift”. The grandfather teaches Jason many things about life through the gifts which aren’t material gifts but rather an appreciation for the gifts God bestows on us. One of the gifts that Jason is taught is the gift of a day.
I feel like all too often, we move through our days not fully realizing that every day is a gift. We trudge through life waiting for the next big opportunity to come along to make our life just a little bit better, waiting for tomorrow without taking time to enjoy the moment we’re in right now.
I know personally, that sometimes when I get stressed out and am having a bad day I find myself saying things like, “I just can’t wait for this day to be over!” or “This day is awful! Can it please end already?” But thinking back, I realized I was wishing away a precious day that God gave me. Since that moment, I’ve been living with the constant awareness that I need to appreciate every day. The wonderful part is I don’t think I have had a bad day since then. Obviously there still rough days but they don’t affect me nearly as much as they had in the past. Nothing about my life has really changed but rather my attitude towards each day has and I’m realizing that makes all the difference.

So I encourage you, if you find yourself struggling to make it through the day, to take a moment say a little prayer to God thanking him for giving you the gift of today. Next, find something positive about whatever you are struggling with and focus on that rather than the negative.  Hopefully you too like Jason, will come to appreciate the gift of a day.

~ Ashley Tatum

No comments:

Post a Comment